The Local Community Food Centre
Opening in Stratford in 2012, The Local Community Food Centre’s mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds community and challenges inequality.
The Local Community Food Centre’s Chef/Educator will be responsible for all community meals served in the Community Kitchen/Dining Room. They will also supervise and coordinate other activities in the Community Kitchen including: sessions where community members utilize this resource; special events and fundraisers; and prep and preservation of fresh ingredients being handled by the Local Community Food Centre’s integrated ‘Food Distribution Centre’ and/or grown in our own Community Gardens/Greenhouse.
We are looking for someone who is passionate and creative about utilizing and sharing their knowledge of cooking and nutrition for the benefit of the physical, mental and social health of our community members. The successful candidate will be someone who is able to integrate educational experiences into all dimensions of their work with community members at The Local Community Food Centre.
- Plan, create and serve nutritious community meals for up to 100+ community members several times per week, including breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
- Orient and supervise community kitchen volunteers (recruited primarily from our programs), co-op students, and interns for the cooking of large scale meals.
- Educate volunteers, students, and all community cooking participants at every opportunity in culinary skills and knowledge, particularly for cooking delicious healthy meals.
- Work in coordination with The Local Community Food Centre’s Community Garden/Greenhouse and ‘Food Distribution Centre’ to requisition healthy (and as much as possible local and sustainably produced) ingredients for community meals.
- Create and maintain a safe, welcoming and dignified environment for community meal attendees and volunteers.
- Develop and implement tracking tools and evaluations demonstrating community kitchen/dining room output, attendance, and activity.
- Work in coordination with The Local Community Food Centre’s ‘Food Distribution Centre’ to preserve, prep, and/or process surplus fresh product.
- Oversee and supervise community kitchen programs in which community members or organizations are permitted to use the certified kitchen space. Serve as facilitator for groups and guide participants towards enhanced skills and knowledge development.
- Coordinate and execute meaningful food experiences for fundraising events.
- Demonstrated ability to cook healthy, tasty, and nutritious food in quantity
- Understanding of and experience with educational approaches that are effective in teaching kitchen/food skills, fostering positive attitudes towards healthy food
- Demonstrated commitment to challenging food-related issues for people experiencing poverty, poor health and discrimination
- Self-motivated and able to work constructively as a member of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work within a diverse community (people of different ages, abilities and cultural backgrounds)
- Existing networks with local food producers, restaurants and culinary community
- Experience with the broad range of tasks required for coordination in a community kitchen setting
Please submit your resumé by Monday, August 13, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. to: The Local Community Food Centre, United Centre, 32 Erie St., Stratford, ON, N5A 2M4 or e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. No faxes or phone calls please.
The Local Community Food Centre is a division of The United Way of Perth-Huron in partnership with Community Food Centres Canada/The Stop Community Food Centre’s Replication Project
The Local Community Food Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups.
We regret that only those applicants being considered will be contacted.