The Local Community Food Centre uses food and food access as a tool for community building in Stratford, Ontario. As part of a holistic approach to food security, the Local CFC provides healthy meals and activities to encourage community members to come together around the issues of equity and social justice in our community. We are currently looking for an individual to assist the Community Kitchen Chef in providing our weekly Wellness Breakfast on Thursday mornings; in addition this part-time position will also include running a fundraiser café alongside the weekly Slow Food Sunday Market that takes place at the Local CFC beginning October 20 2013 and running through the winter months until May.
Position: Community Kitchen Assistant/Cook.
Organization: The Local Community Food Centre www.thelocalcfc.org
Location: 612 Erie St., Stratford, Ontario
Deadline for Applications: Friday August 30 2013 (5pm)
1 position – 10 Hours per week @ $12/hr.
Coordinate and execute the Thursday Wellness Breakfast at The Local Community Food Centre including the following tasks:
- Supporting volunteers in meal preparation and service.
- Coordinating with Community Kitchen Chef to develop healthy menu items and recipes.
- Ensuring meals are prepared safely and safe working practices are being observed by volunteers.
- Assisting volunteer dining room supervisor and servers to coordinate dining room set-up and food service.
- Leading volunteers with kitchen clean-up and weekly maintenance.
Run a small Market Café at the Slow Food Sunday Market at its indoor winter location at the Local Community Food Centre
- Operating a casual fundraiser market café offering a lunch/breakfast dish for sale to market patrons every week.
- Opening up for the market vendors and assisting in closing/clean-up.
- Experience in healthy cooking (through restaurant experience, paid employment or volunteer work)
- Safe Food Handler’s Certificate or Red Seal Certificate
- Commitment to social justice and knowledge of food system issues
- Experience working with volunteers and community members in a leadership capacity
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience creating dishes showcasing locally produced food
- Experience with multi-tasking in a busy environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with and show sensitivity to those who experience poverty/discrimination
- Demonstrated ability to work within a diverse community (people of different ages, abilities and cultural backgrounds)
Salary: $12 per hour
Hours per Week: 10
– Wellness Breakfast Thursday September 19 2013 (4 hour shifts, 6:30am to 10:30am)
– Market Café Sunday October 20 2013 (6 hour shifts, 9am to 3pm)
Please submit your cover letter and resumé by Friday August 30, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. to: The Local Community Food Centre, 612 Erie St., Stratford, ON, N5A 2P1, or email@example.com. No faxes or phone calls please. The Local Community Food Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. We regret that only those applicants being considered will be contacted.
Please note when posting jobs we are sometimes confused with another awesome local food organization Your Local Market Co-op on Downie St. We’re not them… But we love what they do – everyone should shop there!