Kate’s Kitchen #31 | Apple Flax Muffins
These amazingly delicious little muffins are a great example of how you can decrease the sugar and increase the fibre and nutrients without sacrificing taste.
YIELD: Makes 12 muffins
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup ground flax seed
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup apple sauce (or grate one apple and mix in a pot with ¼ cup water- cook for 5 minutes medium heat)
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 medium apple
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients (flour, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (egg, brown sugar, yogurt, applesauce and vanilla). Core and chop the apples into small pieces.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chopped apples just until they are evenly distributed. Try not to overstir the mixture or else the muffins may become tough or rubbery.
- Spray a muffin tin with non stick spray or line with paper cups. Evenly distribute the muffin batter between the 12 muffin cups. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (about 20-25 minutes). Remove the muffins from the tin and let cool on a wire rack.