1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place pita or naan on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
3. Spread tomato salsa on baked pita or naan.
4. Sprinkle with cheese of choice.
5. Add toppings of your choice.
6. Return to oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
• Crust: whole-grain tortillas, English muffins, or sliced bread
• Sauce: hummus, olive tapenade, refried bean dip, homemade tomato sauce
• Toppings: Add some protein: chicken, salmon, turkey sausage, or eggs.
Try different vegetables such as arugula, kale, or sun-dried tomatoes.
Buy cheese in blocks and shred or slice it yourself. You can freeze shredded cheese to make it last longer. It will crumble when it is thawed, but it is just as nutritious.